Iyengar Yoga is based on the teachings of living yoga master B.K.S. Iyengar. It is a complete approach to physical, mental emotional and spiritual transformation bringing physical health,vitality, mental clarity wisdom and emotional serenity. It emphasizes correct alignment of all parts of the body within each yoga pose. This precision builds strength and stamina- balance and flexibility – and a new sense of well-being. Achieving mediation in action, students learn to exist fully and vibrantly in the present moment.
The method offers: A safe and systematic progression of yoga postures to develop each student’s ability and skill, both within each class and from class to class. Highly developed method includes
- Sequencing that develops strength, flexibility, stamina, concentration and body alignment.
- Relevance of practice and incorporation into daily life
- Ways to use yoga to ease various ailments and stress
- Use of props such as blankets, blocks and straps to facilitate learning and adjust yoga postures to individual needs. This revolutionized yoga making it accessible to every body.
- Qualified and rigorously trained instructors committed to excellence in teaching
- Precise use of language
- Demonstration and teaching of specific points to develop understanding and intelligent action
- Individual correction and adjustment of students, when necessar
sources: Iyengar Association of the United States and the Iyengar Association of Greater New York Area
The benefits of yoga are experienced with consistent, uninterrupted practice.
Flexibility , stability, and balance are essential to all of us regardless of age but critical to maintain as we age. The practice of yoga can increase stability and reduce injuries and falls.
“Those who categorize Iyengar Yoga as an “alignment base” miss the point. The physical is a manifestation of the spiritual. Those who see Iyengar Yoga as very technical, their vision is rooted in ignorance. Each instruction is like a dynamic mantra, that awakens and ignites consciousness in specific areas in the body. The way you present the asana shows the habitual patterns of energy in your body. So even if we imagine ourselves to be as a very spiritual beings, the state of our being is reflected through the physical body. We come to realize the big dichotomy between what we actually are and what we imagine ourselves to be!!! The instructions that were discovered by B.K.S Iyengar were meant to awaken the potential energy patterns in the body or the archetype, so the body functions in its natural state which is the expression of supreme Intelligence.”